Wednesday, November 4, 2009

In the Blink of an Eye

We all know life is short and that we all die. This is a fact that we can not escape but as human beings we try to escape that reality and then it comes up and bites us in the butt. So after the news I had today I picked up the phone and called Son #2 at college, came home and hugged Son #1 and my husband when he came in the door. I sent my family an email and now instead of outlining the trade map for tomorrow’s class I am writing this.

Yesterday I had an icky feeling mid-afternoon like something was wrong but I could not put my finger on it so I just pushed it out of my mind. I get these feelings once in awhile my husband tells me I am spooky I just think that at times I am “very tuned in” to what is happening around me. Then last night I had a dream about a co-worker being at a funeral, so I was just slightly unsettled when I got to work this morning and I opened my email to read that a co-worked and friend lost her husband to a motorcycle accident yesterday afternoon. This friend of mine is a young teacher and is expecting their first child and her husband were perfect for each other. They each walked to beat of their own drum compared to the rest of us but their drum beats kept perfect time together and they were so happy. Now her life and the life of their child will be forever changed because of one moment in time.

The driver that hit him made an illegal U-turn and crossed 3 lanes of traffic to do so. To make matters worse his wife and two young children were in the vehicle and all four of them were injured as well. This is something they will live with for the rest of their lives as well. The driver could very well face vehicular manslaughter and if he does so the lives of his family will also be forever changed.

Why am I writing this all down…to help myself process this senseless act…to let some of my anger and sorrow out…I have to keep it together at school for my kids. They were upset enough as it was. So take a minute and hug the people you love or call them to say I love you.

5 comments:

HeidiTri's said...

I'm sorry.
Take your time and process it in your own way.

TC said...

How sad :(

Your friend will be lucky to have you in the coming months. I'm sure she's going to need a lot of love and support.

Felicia said...

That is so sad. Sending you a virtual hug!

PennyCandy said...

Thanks y'all this has been pretty hard to deal with. It just seems so senseless. I am one of those people that always tries to find the good in a situation but I just don't see any in this case.

Bone said...

Oh, that is just unspeakably horrible :( I'm so sorry.

Why does it so often take something horrible like this to remind us to treasure life and our loved ones?