Saturday, March 14, 2009

HOME

In my last post I expressed the concern I have for my Dad and how I felt I needed to see him for myself. I have decided to do so. I will be heading north into Yankee land to return home for a visit.

I am not sure if other people feel this way or not. The life I have created with my husband and sons is located in Texas. We have not always lived here but have called it home for the past 12 years. Yet I find myself pulled northward in my thoughts on a regular basis and even though I do not wish to live north it is still HOME. The place I was raised shaped my life and even though it is an awkward fit I still return to see the people that I left behind.

I will spend 5 days in Yankee land 4 of them on my parents’ farm with no internet although they do now have satellite television. It is funny the satellite I could live without for 4 days the internet on the other hand is difficult to live without when I visit. This is always an adjustment for me. I rely on my email to stay in touch with the world. I also enjoy following several blogs and getting the news from several sources; none of that for 4 days.

What I will get is peace and quiet and time with my Mom and Dad. The nieces and nephews will not be on spring break so I’ll only get to see them a little bit. I will get to spend the 16th with my Sister which is a big deal because that is her birthday. I can not remember the last time I was able to see her for her birthday. I hope to stop in at my Alma Mater and see a few of the high school teachers that played a large role in my life. I usually return home in the summer when school is out of session.

I am not taking any work with me it will be here when I get back that is one thing I can count on. I will also return with a peace of mind along with less stress but at the same time I will be happy to be back in Texas and suburbia. I can only take rural farm life for so long before I need a Starbucks in the morning and a Sonic in the afternoon along with a 5 minute ride to the nearest grocery store along with a large variety of restaurants close at hand. I will also be ready to go back to work. A week off and I start to think about my other kids and I want to be back in the classroom.

8 comments:

TC said...

There is something about the place we grew up always being "home." I guess it's because, almost always, a small piece of our heart was left there. That, and going to our parents is almost always a bit like going home to them, no?

I hope your Dad is doing well, and that you enjoy your time off and seeing them. Also, spending her birthday with your sister :)

PennyCandy said...

Thanks TC I am pretty excited about this trip. I am really happy to be making the trip by myself. Hard to explain but I think I need a break from all of the testosterone that is in my house.

HeidiTri's said...

We're so happy your'e coming! But my kids are bummed that yours won't be here.

PennyCandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PennyCandy said...

Ah yes but if I had to bring them I could not afford to come and I would not get the break that I need.

Felicia said...

Have a great trip! And I completely agree with you on enjoying rual life, but wanting city conviences! Greg and I always want to live on a little bit of land, but it HAS to be close to a city. We really know that now that we live 2 hours away from a mall, Starbucks, franchise restaurants, etc!

Bone said...

Hope you have (or are having) a nice trip. I'm glad you're getting home to see your family.

The other part of this post that stuck out to me is visiting your alma mater. I don't think any of my high school teachers are still there :-/

PennyCandy said...

Thanks Bone I did have a nice time and once I can hear again I am sure I'll post my journey.